Friday, May 2, 2008

"Oh Give Me a Home...Where the Buffalo Roam"






So, I took a "mental health day" today. That's right. I woke up this morning, and I just needed a day to be outside. To feel the sunshine. To not think about work - although I knew I'd pay later for taking a fun day today, since I'm totally swamped already!

It was simply FABULOUS. BEAUTIFUL weather. I decided to fill the tank, put in the ipod and hit the road. I wasn't sure where to go, but then I remembered that I've always wanted to go down to the Wichita Mountains. So I went. By myself. Sunroof open. Tunes blaring. Large Diet Coke from Sonic. No directions or maps...I just knew they were near lawton, so I followed the signs. And... there they were! (On a side note, I realized that I totally inherited my Dad's ability to find places without any maps or directions. I called it his inner compass... and I totally have it.)

It was so great! Days like today make me miss college life. Back when you could just be spontaneous and do crap like that. One advantage to being single is that, despite work and other obligations, I really STILL CAN be spontaneous. I don't have kids or a husband that I have to take care of. Now, it would have been more fun to have at least one friend go with me, but all my friends work and/or have those kids and spouses to negotiate. However, I was determined to just enjoy the day. And I soooo did.

My new goal? Of course, you could have guessed it. To do this more often. Of course, I can't "plan" to do it, or it won't be spontaneous, right? I'll let you know what happens on the next "mental health day."

When is the last time you did something totally spontaneous?

3 comments:

Cara said...

I'm so proud of you for taking a mental health day!!! I really hope you will do it more often...

I think the last time I did something spontaneous was when Emily, Bennett, Britni and myself drove to Michigan and back in a weekend. It was the greatest ever!

Jamie said...

I was so excited to see a new post! I love that you took a day for yourself. I can't remember what I did last, that was spontaneous...sooooo that's too long. When I read your post it totally made me want to just drive somewhere....but sadly, for today, it will just be driving home from work.

Anonymous said...

these are the best days! i totally need to do one for my sanity.

aren't the witchitas beautiful?